美国版封面 · 全图
|封面||美国版 Dan dos Santos|
|设定||三界宙 · 纳尔西斯|
- 欲寻更多信息，请见：BioChromatic Breath。
All individuals are born with a single 灵息, which can be willingly transferred or given away to another individual. A Breath can be thought of as a soul, or as the manifestation of the 'sixth sense'. A person with no Breaths is called a 灰白者. Drabs find it difficult to perceive color and do not experience the 'sixth sense' or the odd sensation resulting from someone watching one unobserved. The prominent use of magic on Nalthis is called Awakening, and is reliant on the presence of color and verbal Commands given by the magic user, as well as the use of Breath.
There are several manifestations of BioChromatic magic:
- A person that holds multiple Breaths gains certain innate abilities, such as perfect pitch, the ability to sense life, and a resistance to disease. The various amounts of Breath required to obtain these abilities are referred to as Heightenings.
- The use of Breaths to bring inanimate objects to life, draining color from nearby objects. The actions of the Awakened object are dependent on the 指令 used at the time of Awakening. Breaths used to Awaken an object can usually be recovered by the Awakener, returning the object to normal.
- Corpses (usually human) that have been Awakened. A technique discovered during the 不息战争 allowed for the creation of Lifeless with only a single Breath. Since then, Lifeless have been used extensively as laborers and soldiers.
- Individuals that return to life after dying, but without any memories of their previous life. Returned have a single Divine Breath, which grants them all the innate powers of the Fifth Heightening, as well as other unique powers such as the ability to change their form. A Returned must consume one of their held Breaths every week. If they are forced to consume or give away their Divine Breath, they will die. In 霍兰德伦, Returned are worshipped as gods.
It is important to note that all use or transfer of Breath is considered heresy in 伊德里斯.
Specialized forms of this magic that are pertinent to Warbreaker include the 无命者 and the 回归者. The 无命者 are reanimated human bodies that require only one 灵息 to 唤醒. They are sustained with a specialized liquid called ichor alcohol. 无命者 feel little or no pain and are able to follow simple commands.
The 回归者 are the gods of the 霍兰德伦 religion. They are people who are said to have died in such a heroic manner as to be given the chance to return to this world from the afterlife. They lose their memories during the return trip but are guided by their own inherent prophetic powers. The 回归者 must consume one 灵息 every week or they die. They each contain a single powerful 灵息 that alone allows them to reach Fifth Heightening; granting them, among other things, agelessness. The 回归者 also may spend this one 灵息 once in their lives to perform a miracle and upon doing so, they die. These 灵息s are often referred to as "Deific 灵息s"
The God King is believed to be an especially powerful 回归者, who consumes many 灵息s a week. It is considered a privilege by the citizens of 霍兰德伦 to donate their 灵息 to one of the 回归者, even though it leaves them as a 灰白者.
It is important to note that all use of 灵息 in order to 唤醒 is considered heresy in Idris.
Warbreaker was inspired by what Brandon wishes he had been able to include in Elantris. In Elantris, regular people are transformed into gods, but we never get to see how they adapt to their new lives. This is the premise and inspiration for Warbreaker.
Warbreaker was also released for free online as it was written, allowing readers to see the rough drafts and deleted scenes years before it was published. Brandon did this despite discouragement from his teams and agent at Tor.
- WARBREAKER (Tor, Summer 2009)
- Audio rights (unabridged) to Recorded Books
- Audio rights (dramatic abridgment) to Graphic Audio
- Chinese rights (complex, Taiwan) to Gaea
- Czech rights to Talpress
- German rights to Heyne
- Italian rights to Fanucci
- Polish rights to MAG
- Spanish rights to Ediciones B
- UK rights to Gollancz
- French rights to Calmann-Levy
- Bulgarian rights to Bard
- Chosen by Library Journal as one of the 5 best SF&F novels of 2009
- Chosen by Barnes & Noble as one of the 5 best SF&F novels of 2009
- Chosen by The Onion A.V. Club as a Best of 2009
- Nominated for the 2010 David Gemmell Legend Award
- Nominated for 2009 Romantic Times Award, Best Epic Fantasy
- An ALA Top Five Fantasy of 2009
- 24 on NY Times hardcover list
Brandon's editor told him that his next story after Elantris and Mistborn had to have some color to it, since those stories were both dark, so he replied that he would then write about a color based magic system.
Cover Art Gallery
- 欲寻a more complete gallery of covers，请见：Brandon's cover gallery。
First cover by Dan dos Santos